Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Settling in...

Winter is coming for us - the air has a chill in it, and I have started wearing my puffy coat. It is my second week of walking to work and I am wearing a qiviut headband and some felted mittens I made a couple years ago.



Muskox - their undercoat is washed, carded, and spun into qiviut
They are found in northern Alaska - I saw some in the wild when I was in Nome last fall
They're also hunted for their meat
A qiviut headband - mine is similar colors, but a different pattern

Wool socks are a must to keep my toes warm, and tea is my first step when I get to the office.

Slower business also typically associates with winter, according to Dr. Thorgesen and Jen. In the past, there has been fewer appointments and more cancellations. I'm curious to see how this will effect me.

More referrals are coming in, which is particularly exciting. Providers are sending clients with labs which helps a lot with education and recommendations.

Labs also help personalization of diet plans - total cholesterol is good to know, but what about HDL verses LDL? Triglycerides and fasting blood glucose? Labs can help paint a full picture, especially when they're provided over a long period of time (showing change, increase, or decrease).

Along with changing seasons comes changing food availability and appetites. Fewer vegetables are in reach as the barge carrying fresh food only comes on Tuesday. Local farms and gardens are bundling up against the first frost. When it gets colder, my appetite gets voracious (others echo this sentiment).

People aren't the only ones with large, seasonal appetites. The bald eagles are EVERYWHERE. On my morning walks, I see at least one soaring. The other morning while driving home from the gym, there were five of them circling my house (luckily I knew the cat was locked inside).

I've heard that where the river tributaries are a meter wide or less (meaning the fish are stacking up on top of each other), it's an eagle buffet. November is the American Bald Eagle Festival held here at the American Bald Eagle Preserve - at this time, eagles greatly outnumber the residents of Haines.

Because it's been a few years since I've spent fall and winter in Haines, I'll try to keep the blog current on changes as they occur. Sometimes winter sneaks up so smoothly that all of a sudden it snows, and I can't find my snow boots.

By keeping track of these changes in a cognizant manner, maybe I can stay ahead of the weather and be prepared for the long chill ahead.

Kate Fossman, RDN, LD

October 7, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment